J&J Loses $109M Lawsuit
Health care company Johnson & Johnson was told to pay a Massachusetts teenager and her parents $63 million after she suffered a life-threatening drug reaction and lost most of her skin when she took a children's pain reliever nearly a decade ago.
A Plymouth Superior Court jury decided Johnson & Johnson and its McNeil Laboratories subsidiary should pay Samantha Reckis and her parents a total of $109 million, including interest.
Family attorney Brad Henry said Samantha was 7 when she was given Motrin brand ibuprofen. She suffered a rare side effect known as toxic epidermal necrolysis and lost 90% of her skin and was blinded.
A spokeswoman for New Brunswick, N.J.-based Johnson & Johnson Services Inc. said the girl's family has suffered a tragedy but the company disagrees with the verdict and is "considering additional legal options."
Date: February 13, 2013
Source: Associated Press